Welcome to my blog. This is a blog for me to express my ideas and thoughts. I love to craft and "repurpose" things. I am just starting on this blog adventure, so bear with my while I get steady and rolling.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Art of Baking Bread

Believe it or not, there used to be a time when homemade bread was boring and store bought bread was a treat!  Can you imagine?!  There have been fights at my house over who was going to get the first slice of warm, baked bread. 

My mother-in-law has been wanting to teach us how to make her very special brown bread for many months now.  We have always put it off assuming we had loads of time.  NEVER assume that time is on your side. 

So, we decided to grab the opportunity this past weekend and have our lesson.


 Here are the girls all ready to go.


 Laura doing her job as "dump-the-flour" girl!


 Emily and her Nan putting the dough in the pans to rise. 

It was a wonderful afternoon and the bread was DELISH!   I would have posted a picture of the bread but it disappeared before I was able too.  The special recipe was passed down another generation and we got to spend some quality time together. 

We were very blessed to have this day. 

Sue

3 comments:

  1. So cool that you are doing a blog! I love it :) Robb and I have been making our own bread for months now since I can't eat wheat and need gluten free bread. We love to experiment and have even made hamburger buns in tuna cans! We fight over the first piece too :)

    Alanna xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, so nice Sue. I remember many weekends at Carrie's baking in the kitchen with Cathy :) Poor Cathy and Garnet even got stuck eating a "sympathy" piece of our cake that we had made when we accidentally switched the sugar for salt. lol. Such nice memories and no wonder the bread didn't last, Cathy is a wonderful cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I {heart} homemade bread. Next time you make it ; you can just send it all over to me!

    ReplyDelete